In this job description, we try to answer many of the common questions applicants have about professional pet sitting and dog walking. If you have any questions about the job, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below is a summary of some of the job duties you may be required to do as a Pet Care Specialist. We provide thorough training on everything listed below.
● Accept visits assigned to you through our online system
● Meet clients at consultations and understand the tasks you will be responsible for
● Complete Pet Sitting and Dog Walking visits during the requested time block
● Complete visits within the requested length, clocking in and out using our online system
● Read the client’s profile and all notes about the visit
● Follow all client instructions
● Take pictures of the happy pets and send informative updates to clients
● Form good relationships with the pets by giving them lots of attention, love, and care
● Form a good and trusting relationship with clients
● Clean up any pet messes and maintain pet health
● Double-check all notes before administering medications, and administer the correct medications every time
● Keep track of what is done at visits through our various communication channels and checklists
● Notice subtle preferences and behavior patterns of pets
● Identify behavioral patterns that may indicate stress or a health issue in pets
● Keep pets and their environment healthy, clean, and safe
● Maintain great communication with administration and with coworkers through phone calls and team chat app
● Keep all client information confidential
● Bring in mail and packages
● Be flexible in case of last-minute booking or last-minute cancellation
● Make the safety of pets and the security of the client’s home your top priority
What does a Pet Care Visit look like?
Visits are generally 30-60 minutes long, plus drive time (mileage and drive time is paid one way). The time at visits is generally spent preparing meals for pets, giving medication if needed, walking dogs, indoor and outdoor playtime, general cleaning, refreshing water dishes, scooping the litter box daily, cleaning up pet messes, taking cute pictures of happy pets, and sending an update to the client.
You will also check over the house for any problems, bring mail and newspapers inside, water indoor and outdoor plants, and take care of any other general household tasks included with our services.
Pet sitting visits are completed at approximately the same time each day to keep things consistent for the pets. Pet sitting visits are generally booked for 5 to 10 days at a time.
Dog walking visits are generally booked on the same days each week. They are good, consistent income, and are usually 30-60 minutes long, plus drive time. Dog walks are great and are just like they sound. You take the dog for a walk!
Professional pet care is independent work. It’s enjoyable, low stress, and active.
What happens during a consultation?
Consultations are scheduled for all new clients so we can meet the client and their pets. You and possibly another sitter will meet at the client’s house at the time of the consultation to customize the clients pet care and get familiar with the home and surroundings. It’s a good idea to get to the client’s house a few minutes early to read their profile and any notes about this visit.
Consultations usually take 20-30 minutes, and we have a well put together training program to teach you everything you need to know about them.
You will get breaks throughout the day.
Keep in mind, pet sitting and dog walking is not constant work throughout the entire day. Rather, you’ll complete 1-3 visits during a scheduled time block, then you will have a break.
However, from time-to-time visits are booked during two consecutive time blocks, so you can complete more visits in one outing.
Below you can see our time blocks for pet sitting and dog walking visits. Visits need to be completed within the designated time blocks, however your daily schedule will have suggested times and most efficient route suggestions. On your busiest days, you would have 2-3 visits during a time block, and breaks throughout the day.
● Before Hours (5:00 AM to 7:00 AM)
●Early Morning (7:00 AM to 9:00 AM
●Late Morning (9:00 AM to 11:00 AM)
● Mid-Day (11:00 AM to 2:00 PM)
● Afternoon (2:00 PM to 5:00 PM)
●Evening (5:00 PM to 7:00 PM)
●After Hours (7:00 PM to 9:00 PM)
Our Scheduling App:
You will receive your pet sitting and dog walking assignments through our scheduling app, Time to Pet.
Bookings often come in daily as clients request visits through the online system.
You will generally know your schedule well in advance, but from time to time we have clients who book last minute. For all visits requested last minute, we’ll check to see if it works for you. With Time to Pet, you can see your schedule, request time off, and make notes about visits.
How will I get Clients?
We have many new clients calling us for service every week and have a comprehensive marketing plan. However, we do have a fantastic referral program that can earn you unlimited bonus cash rewards.
Where will I be working?
Most of your time at work will be spent at the clients home doing visits and taking care of pets. From time to time, you will need to pick up or drop off supplies or keys near Mulberry Drive in Richmond Hill.
You do not need to commute to the office before or after your shifts. You will go straight to the client’s home to start work.
Because our pet sitters and dog walkers drive to visits multiple times per day, we only hire candidates who live in the service area they are hired for, or at least, very close to it.
How much will I be paid?
To help you grow within our company and continue to have new opportunities here, we have developed a level system for promoting team members. With experience and time, you can rise to a higher level.
Pet Care Specialist in Training (PCSIT) - This period lasts while onboarding, performing on-the-job training, and during a probationary period.
Pet Care Specialist I - Meets all of the requirements stated in the job description. After training, everyone starts at level one. If you have professional experience, you think merits a promotion to level two, please submit a written statement of your related professional pet experience to your supervisor.
Pet Care Specialist II - Be with MFPS for 1 year or have 1 year of professional pet experience. You should be able to shape a new behavior with a clicker. Can complete visits and tasks quickly in the allotted time. Level two sitters have been helping our company grow and are happy to help our clients. Has excellent pet handling and customer service skills, completes visit tasks accurately, and has a great attitude.
Pet Care Specialist III - Be with MFPS for 2 years. Shows exemplary commitment to the team. Has exemplary pet handling skills, customer service, and attitude. Goes above and beyond.
There are five components that make up your pay at MFPS.
●Time at the visits: You are paid your hourly rate for the time you are at the visits
●Drive time is paid, after the first service location, ending after the last service location, at your hourly rate
● Mileage is paid one way at .45 per mile
●Many clients also tip very well
-Unlimited Referral Bonuses
PCSIT Pay: $10/Hour
Level 1 Pay Rate: $11/Hour
Level 2 Pay Rate: $12/Hour
Level 3 Pay Rate: $13+/Hour
Please read through our Pet Care Specialist job description. If you feel this job would be a good fit for you, please fill out the application below. I’m looking forward to hearing from you!